In lecture six, we learnt that it is important to do network analysis with the help of graph. Because social network is a common component in social media, and computationally, social network can be viewed as a graph that describe the relation among a group of people. So if we can do a good graph about weibo or tweeting, we can make a good understanding of the social media. Thus, graph is a very good instrument in social media.
As Rosanna told us that a graph contain a collection of vertices and edgs, and there are directed graph and undirected graph, we can know some characteristics about graph, and then we use it to do social network analysis. As Roasnna has told clearly about the characteristics of graph, so I will not repeat it at all.
First of all, I want to talk about the relationship between graph and network. Graph and networks are all around us, including technological networks ( the internet, power grids, telephone networks, transportation networks,...), social networks (social graphs, affiliation networks,...), information networks (World Wide Web, citation graphs, patent networks,...),biological networks (biochemical networks, neural networks, food webs,...), and many more. Graphs provide a structural model that makes it possible to analyze and understand how many separate systems act together. The Wolfram Language provides state of art functionality for modeling, analyzing, synthesizing, and visualizing graphs and networks.Whether those graphs are small and diagrammatic or large and complex, the Wolfram Language provides numerous highlevel functions for creating or computing with graphs. Graphs arefirstclass citizens in the Wolfram Language; they can be used as input and output and they are deeply integrated into the rest of the Wolfram Language.
Then, I want to talk about the social network in the real word and the use of graph. A network is a set of items (nodes or vertices ) connected by edges or links, and the systemsis taking the form of network abound in the word. Thus, we can usually learn a lot about people from studying their social network by using graph. So the social network can be represent by a lot of new graphs and they are generally noereflexive. Many social network are all graph. The web itself can be viewed as a very large graph, nodes are individual sites or pages and edges are the links between pages. The following picture is the basis of Google’s page rank algorithm. The ‘importance’ of a site is determined by the number of sites that link to it weighted by the importance of those sites.
From the PPT we read and the papers we reference, we found that graph can help us do a lot of meaning things and know clearly about the social connection among people.


HI,xiaoxiao. Your passage briefly introduce the application of graphs in social network,and I agree with you on your idea that graphs and networks are connected closely.Meanwhile,I noticed that you mentioned the Wolfram Language,and I am really interested in that ,May be we can have a talk on that.Many thanks!
回复删除I feel dizzy when I see you figures. Your analysis is very difficult! But you analyze it carefully and seriously. I respect you. For the diagram analysis, I think it's in place, I think I should learn from you.And I will try to analyze the blog next time,too.
回复删除Hello, Xiaoxiao. After reading your blog, I notice the concept you mentioned in your blog is very useful to me. You said the web itself can be viewed as a very large graph, nodes are individual sites or pages and edges are the links between pages, which I can't agree with you more. Thanks a lot.
回复删除I noticed that you mentioned Wolfram Alpha in your blog. As far as I'm concerned, it's a intellectual searching engine with a its own programming language. Maybe we can talk about its use on social media analysis next time.
回复删除I am really in high favor of using mathematics to analyze social network. It is truly a applied measure for us analysts. Meanwhile, it makes the process easier to understand.
回复删除Hi, XiaoXiao. I have read your essay carefully,through your explanation, I have got a much deeper recognition on graphs.Meanwhile, I am really interested in the application you referred in the passage.
回复删除wow,you really got a nice understanding of what we learnt on the class, and also helped me learnt more about the graphs and networks,and I am also willing to try the website you mentioned in this blog~
回复删除Good. You emphasize the importance of graphs in social media. In order to achieve better effect, we can acquire clear relationship by analysing the graphs of social network. Nowadays our life is full of garphs and we are attracted by their contents all the time. It’s clear that graphs indicate something more directly than many other tools.
回复删除This post emphasize the importance of social media and I think it helps me a lot to understand the social media. I noticed that you mentioned Wolfram Alpha in your blog. As far as I'm concerned, it's a intellectual searching engine with a its own programming language. Thank you
回复删除Use the graph way to analysis the social media, each vertex and link can be expect the relationship between user and user, user and item, item and item in a easy and clear way
回复删除I think graphs are very important tools to conduct the social media analytic. We can use graph models to formulate the problems in social networking and we can also use graph visualization tools to get a more direct impression on the network structure. So I totally agree with you about the importance of graphs in social media analytics.
回复删除